Master Card use in Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Master Card use in Australia Reply with quote

Good evening to all, Should I be seen as being too nosy with this post, please dump this, but we are keen to know if Master Card is easily used across Australia and even REMOTE regions.

We have noticed that some traders have a listing of Cards which they will deal with and often have seen Master Card on the list of not accepted. However we have used VISA since May 1998 across all regions with out problems.

We have been informed by the shops etc. which refused Master that they do not deal with them due to the slow payments by Master Card, where as VISA is prompt.

Why do I ask? Well our Banking Institution has just announced that our beloved VISA card is to be replaced by a Master Card by end of this financial year. We hence wish to find out just how well served we will be by that city centric commercial move.

Cheers
Terrain to Travel
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mobi,
Steven Gibbs here, Director, Bushtracker,

I have just done three States and Tasmania and I own both cards. My Mastercard is a monthly bill, high limit, and I pay it monthly so no charges.

My Visa is with another Bank, and since I do not need credit, it is just linked to a cash account. It is easy to use with "Pay Wave" even for parking in Hobart. I carry both in case there is a problem with one or the other Bank.

Anyway, I have both, get cash out of ATMs with both, use both on a whim, and I have not noticed any difference. Everywhere I have gone in the past year, there has not been a noticeable difference in where I could use them.

That has been a month in America on a Harley across the South to Daytona Beach Bike Week, and three months in the Whitsundays and Airlie Beach, and now a couple of months between here and Tassie. No difference noted anywhere.

I did all of these expeditions to see what I wanted to do with semi-retirement plans. Funny, but I have decided to just come back to run Bushtracker, my Hobby gone mad, my interest, so you are stuck with me... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem with MasterCard in Australia and indeed all over the world. Actually prefer to use American Express which is accepted by all major fuel stations, supermarkets and grog shops around Aus. We get more FF points Smile and lets face it..the bulk of our expenditure comes from the three situations mentioned.
krisandkev

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximus wrote:
Never had a problem with MasterCard in Australia and indeed all over the world. Actually prefer to use American Express which is accepted by all major fuel stations, supermarkets and grog shops around Aus. We get more FF points Smile and lets face it..the bulk of our expenditure comes from the three situations mentioned.

Yep, MasterCard no problems, but American Express? Travelled a lot with a couple who would try and use their American Express and a few places would not allow it, luckily they also had a MasterCard. I am talking about away from major centres in Australia. Kevin
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last comment.... are you sure you're not thinking of Amex (American Express) when you say it is not accepted in a lot of places?

I used to be a banker for about 40 years and we used to provide both Visa and Mastercard (note it is one word) cards and I never heard anybody say that either of those cards wasn't accepted anywhere.

Amex and Diners Club cards on the other hand, were renowned in the industry for being very slow to pay the merchant businesses.

Bill

Last edited by Roachie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kalmwaters

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While travelling full time for 7 years 2009-2016, we used Mastercard for all our fuel (up to 400 litres) and grocery purchases all around Australia (including Tassie) and never had an issue, even in the remotest of areas. It will not be a problem.
Riverman & His Lady

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem in Australia. Last year I had Mastercard refused in England. That is the only time.

A man lucky enough to live near a river.........is lucky enough!
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy all, lovely to have these positive responses. Original comments were from actual remote region experiences where we saw the signs at the entrance to the servo and shops etc. We always commented that we are glad to have VISA as it was the most universally accepted card.
Certainly this put our concerns to rest.
Thankyou for all your advice and experience.
Terrain to Travel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: