Landcruiser 200 WDH & Suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doinitezy

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Landcruiser 200 WDH & Suspension Reply with quote

Just sold our LC 100 GXL petrol 6 which served us well since 2002 & recently purchased a new LC 200 GXL diesel which hopefully will prove as reliable as the 100.

Bushtracker built our BT 19 in 2007 & we are comfortable with that size 3500KG van behind the Landcruiser. We carry a lot of toys & with full load in the BT & LC it is challenging to keep everything legal.

We have fitted ARB suspension (did the same on our 80 & 100) to the new truck for a GVM upgrade to 3580kg to keep everything legal. The 200 weighed 2760kg with full fuel, 80kg Driver & front seats only. Middle & rear seats removed to reduce TARE by 101kg. After reducing the load carrying capacity by 300kg to account for the weight of the caravan on the WDH, that leaves only 520kg for one extra passenger, the ARB bulbar/dual battery/suspension upgrade, drawer system, toys, etc. It will be interesting to see what it weighs in full touring mode but I suspect I should have 100kg+ in reserve.

Question 1 - What is the ideal suspension combo for the LC200 GXL ?

Our BT19 tow-ball weight is around 300kg + or - 10 to 15kg. Our LC100 was fitted with 400kg constant coils in the rear, which was great for off-road towing of the BT but a little rough/skittish when dirt road touring without the van. We elected to fit the new LC200 with lighter 200kg constant coils to provide a better ride/traction on dirt roads when not towing. I may need to fit Air-bags, but when I hooked up the van the rear wheel arch clearance only lowered by 38mm even without the WDH bars fitted. With the WDH bars fitted the variation was only 25mm. The front varied from 5mm to 15mm higher.

Question 2 - Does the LC200 need a different WDH to the LC100 ?

We have the Hitchmaster DO35 (was Gold colour but now red) from Vehicle Components.
Because the lowest possible hitch position of the LC200 is higher than the LC100, when I attach the BT, the front of the van is 70mm too high (50mm above level but I prefer it to be 20mm down from level).
I could reposition the DO35 on top of the BT drawer-bar instead of under which would be perfect to achieve the correct towing height however I think that the WDH bars would not work (foul on the drawbar when turning & not enough links in reserve).

Thanks for listening & I hope you are all enjoying touring in your BT.

Greg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness,
Long answer:

the answer is already here on the Forum... Look in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES..

Short answer without the data to support it:
Lovells is the 3850 GVM upgrade. It allows You to also upgrade the towing capacity to 4000 kg if you wanted..

Now, we have had a 200 Series (Matthews) with the ARB upgrade, and he upgraded further to the Lovells, and he "Testifies" the Lovells is bigger but it rides better.

Call him at Bushtracker for a side to side comparison on the same tow vehicle.

Kind regards, the Off-Road Guru.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg

Q 1 .. Lovell’s is popular because of the higher 3800kg gvm plus it enables a further upgrade (more $$) to increase the tow capacity to 4000kg.
I have Dobinson & Bilstein 3800kg it has 300kg rear rated coils plus firestone airbags

Q 2. I’ve owned our 19’ BT for 11 years and know exactly how it tows behind 3 different vehicles, F250, 79 series and now the 200. The 200 I used a WDH for one trip and then fitted the airbags because when off road and not using the WDB’s the rear dropped more than I liked ... since then I haven’t bothered using them and 45,000klms later I haven’t missed them.
07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
doinitezy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mick

1. Considered Lovell's but the vehicle would have ended up higher than with the ARB suspension upgrade & we didn't need it to travel legally. My wife is short & was hoping that the 200 would be lower than our 100 which it is by 50+mm so happy wife happy life.

2. Thanks for the detail on your experiences. It was the answer I was anticipating as I know from experience with our 100 that the rear dropped about 60mm without the WDH. It didn't feel unsafe on the dirt as we travelled slower but jacking up the rear with air-bags would have reduced the chances of bottoming out when going through wash-outs or similar.

Heading off to Tassie/Victoria for 3 months or so from late March so shall review how the 200 performs & most likely will fit air-bags.

3. For Bushtracker's info, the simple fix for the 'HITCH HEIGHT' issue on van's fitted with the DO35, when changing from a Landcruiser 100 to a 200 is to change the 'Shank' (the part that goes into the towbar) to a longer drop unit (Arrow Caravans, Brisbane Part No. 50028 - ADJ B/Mount Shank - 100mm lower).
Unfortunately the chains on our van have always been too short & I have needed to fit an extra shackle so that the crossed over Chains don't foul with the Hitch when turning. Have been meaning to check with Steve to make sure this is safe & legal.

Happy & safe travels Greg
niknoff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg you may be aware of Lock Up Kits for the torque converter in the 200 series. I can recommend having one fitted especially for towing and the hills. Reduced transmission temperatures and a lot nicer to drive without flaring of the revs each time it down changes a gear.

I have a Stocklock which I believe is the best because it uses pulse modulation as does the Toyota system. Matt Stockwell makes an auto lock up version, a high and low speed version which is the one I’d suggest for Tassies hills.

Enjoy, it’s an awesome state for caravanning
07' 19' BushTracker
Doinit Ezy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mick Diesels are new territory for me, obviously much more complex than my old straight 6 petrol & need a heap more protection from the rigours of off-road touring.

Was planning to fit a 'Catch-Can' & extra 'Fuel Filter' before we leave. ARB fit the Fuel Filter after the OME one whereas most other suppliers fit it before. Any comments ?

I did speak with a 200 owner in Lucky Bay, WA (Actually in was at not in LB as the water was too cold for us Queenslanders) who raved about how good the Lockup Kit was for performance & fuel economy. I shall check it out.

My wife & I love touring Tassie & have spent over 6 months there so far. This year we're going a little later to enjoy the changing colours of Autumn which we don't get in Brisbane. I also fly down with friends occasionally to go hiking (mainly off-track like our caravanning) & kayaking. The SW Wilderness where you either walk in/out or fly in/out is my favourite area. Up there with the Kimberley & Whitsunday Islands Group as one of our favourite parts of OZ.
Have a great day Greg
doinitezy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick Would you have a contact number for the Stock Lock please. I can't seem to find him through my internet searching skills, which by the way are quite hopeless. Thanks Greg
Grumpy

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, we fitted ours pre original due to potential warranty concerns with fitting the lower micron post filter.

Read the posts on the subject on the LCOOL website.
niknoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doinitezy wrote:
Hi Mick Would you have a contact number for the Stock Lock please. I can't seem to find him through my internet searching skills, which by the way are quite hopeless. Thanks Greg

Matt Stockwell 0439902896

He works shift at Moranbah Qld so leave a message ic he doesnt answer. His kif is worth waiting for.
07' 19' BushTracker
niknoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doinit Ezy wrote:
Thanks Mick Diesels are new territory for me, obviously much more complex than my old straight 6 petrol & need a heap more protection from the rigours of off-road touring.

Was planning to fit a 'Catch-Can' & extra 'Fuel Filter' before we leave. ARB fit the Fuel Filter after the OME one whereas most other suppliers fit it before. Any comments ?

Ours is fitted before the factory filter, Toyota are ok with this, im also fitting a water alarm to the fuel manager .. got it but yet to fit it.

Catch can, we have a HPD .. another popular brand is Asgard Provent but they are bigger and fitting can be an issue for some. Both do the job.
07' 19' BushTracker
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Mick.

My pre-filter is a 30 micron.

Factory filter is 10 micron.

My catch can is an HPD.

I think if you fitted an after-market filter after the factory filter, you would be risking a brawl with Toyota. You would also have to make it finer than 10 microns, otherwise there's no point, and that would likely cause some fuel flow issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: