Portable fridge freezer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Redbak & Black Wi

State:: New South Wales
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Portable fridge freezer Reply with quote

Has anyone had a Brass Monkey portable fridge freezer? We are tempted to buy one for the car to use as a back up for the van fridge or for short trips, camping etc.
They are so much cheaper than the well known brands but the compressor is generic and its specs are for + or - 25 degree ambient temperatures.
We are wondering how they perform in 40 degree temperatures.
If you have one could you let us know what you think of them please.
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't provide an answer to your question....

However, I have recently been on another weight-reduction binge. When I go through these (on an occasional basis), I stand back and try to look critically at various items and see if there is a better way.

A couple of months ago I was looking at the big Engel 60 litre fridge in the Chevs canopy. It weighed around 30-odd kilos empty. It sat on a drop down slide that also weighed in the 35 to 40kg range. To top it off, it was surrounded by a "cage" made of aluminium that weighed around 15kg.

We rarely use the fridge, but it was handy to have.

I decided to ditch it....got $1,500- for the lot.....and bought a second hand 55 litre upright Engel fridge. It takes up way, way less space and is around 23kg.

So, 80-odd kilos out and 23 kilos back in...AND the contents are easier for both Annette and myself to get at. Previously she would ask me to get stuff out of the fridge because the drop-down set-up wasn't all that user-friendly.

So, consider a upright fridge in your deliberations.

Ron Redbak & Black Wi

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roachie for that information. You made a good swap. We decided to give the 60 litre Brass Monkey a trial. We have 2 weeks in which we can return it if not happy. So we have heated our van up to about 35 degrees to simulate the north of Australia in the hot period and are seeing how it copes. I will let everyone know the result. $499 for fridge freezer plus cover is a really good deal if it performs adequately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: