Dinghy & Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rog&Jac

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Dinghy & Trailer Reply with quote

We are planning a 12 month trip around Aus next year with our kids and Grand kids.
A few people have recommended to us that we take a dinghy.
Any thoughts/opinions on type of Dinghy. ( I am thinking a flat bottom stable Dinghy with the Grand kids would be best )
Also peoples experiences with fold-able trailers and roof rack boat loaders.

Thanks in advance
Roger
Bushmann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I have a 3.75m Quintrex Dart which is great for ocean conditions, together with WA made Custom Boat Loader and Mangrove Jack 38kg alloy trailer. The trailer fits neatly on Mangrove Jack mounting brackets between the spare tyres and jerry can holders on the BT’s A-frame.

Cheers, Peter
stoz

State:: Qld.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good if you're going to stop for a few days as there is a bit of setting up. Also cost, weight and storage are something to consider, Boatloader $2500-$3500, Fold up Trailer $2000 then you have your boat and outboard. As for boat and motor I wouldn't recommend anything less than 3.5mtr but prefer 3.7mtr for stability reasons. As for a motor because of weight I would suggest a 15HP 2 stroke and nothing less or more. All of these recommendations are from personal experience having had a few over the years but others may differ in opinions.
Rog&Jac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stoz & Bushman for your reply's.
I am looking at a Seajay Angler 3.7 with Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke, I don't know how stable it will be.
Does anyone have experience with this boat?
stoz

State:: Qld.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rog&Jac We have a seajay nomad 3-7 and 15hp Yamaha. We were looking at the 3-5 but are glad we got the 3-7. I had a look on the seajay website and the angler 3-75 would be a good choice. One thing you need to look for with a car topper is that there is nothing raised higher than the top rails and front deck ie it's all flat, as this can hinder loading the boat onto the boat loader as it rolls on or off the loader. I would also recommend a good quality loader and not a generic one. Over west you have Custom boat Loaders and Mangrove Jack trailers, I have seen these in use and do a great job.
John
jimbo1

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Cartopper Reply with quote

Hi Rob & Jac,
We have a sea jay 3.85 nomad HS which has sides 300 mm higher, they also come in 3.7 and 3.5 metres. They are a very stable dingy and the wife loves the extra height in the sides up north, we also use the mangrove jack trailer.
Motor weight is the critical thing to look at as it is my understanding in some states you now cannot buy 2 stroke motors new anymore and you still have to store them which requires lifting them onto the boat or into the rear of the car.
We have a gulf lander extreme BMT boatloader which stores everything on the roof boat, motor and trailer and fuel tank without any difficult lifting,they have a good video on their website showing the operation, not cheap but the thing to remember with all this is unless it is easy to use your boat will spend most of its time on the roof.
Lots of options out there to suit most people but do your homework as with most things. Good Luck
Regards Jim
Rog&Jac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo1,
The Seajay 3.7 angler has gone, so I'm now looking at a Nomad 3.7 with 15hp Yamaha.
A question for you or anyone else with a tinnie on top. Have you found it has affected your fuel consumption in a positive or negative way?
jimbo1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Boat Reply with quote

Hi Rog &Jac,
Some people say that the boat on the roof helps to break the wind on the van but I’m not sure about that. We are pretty heavy anyway being on the road full time we carry a bit more than most but our fuel consumption doesn’t seem to have changed much.
One thing we have noticed is that with our vehicle a Chevy Silverado with a custom built canopy on the back is that on dirt roads we get a lot more dust on the roof of the van than we used to so obviously the airflow between the van and car has changed, probably the combination that we have and may not affect most.
Regards Jim
Darjak

State:: QUEENSLAND
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel will most probably be about 1L/100 that's what my works out at.
My setup is not standard, 3.6mtr custom built Blue Fin (standard width is 1640mm)and 18hp Tohatsu which is the same size and weight as a 15hp.
Store my outboard on slide in front hatch and Almac trailer under rear cutaway.

Darjak
Jusel

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darjak,

Interested in seeing some pictures of your trailer and motor storage.

Thanks
Jusel
Darjak

State:: QUEENSLAND
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jusel
Hope these photos help
Darjak
Colin Boreham

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: 3.7m Dinghy and gear. Reply with quote

Hi Darjac,
I have just posted details on a little used 3.7m Easy Topper Barra Boat, 9.8hp OB, collapsible Barcoo trailer with BT mounting bracket, Roof rack for LC 200 GXL 2010 and associated gear.
Give me a call if interested
Regards,
Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: