MAXIMUM SIZED VAN TO PUT BEHIND LANDCRUISERS FOR SAFETY

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: MAXIMUM SIZED VAN TO PUT BEHIND LANDCRUISERS FOR SAFETY Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

There are two issues I am going to deal with here, with regards to a practical cap on what size of van to put behind Landcruiser sized Tow Vehicles. Please consider both of them, with the safety of your Family in mind, and understand that unlike other Companies that do not care and will put a larger van on behind you, we are really trying to honestly and ethically look after your health and well being and that of your Family, OK? Please read this and understand the two main limitations for safety:

First is weight. Our Optional Equipment can weigh 300-400 kg, and with that equipment on board a 21' Bushtracker can weigh 2650 kg; maybe as high as 2700 kg with a complex layout. We just weighed one with EVERYTHING, and over the top on drawers with 10 drawers, and a very complex layout, and four batteries and four panels, flat screen TV, the largest fridge/ freezer at 220 litres and so on.. Rolling Eyes You get the picture, anyway they weighed 2800 kg. Shocked You are just starting to run out of extra capacity on the tow hitch of a Landcruiser sized vehicle at 3500 kg. Four tanks of water is 320 kg on its own. Most of our Customers are adding on around 600-700 kg in water, food, toys, tools, personal goods, and the rest. At 21' you are about at your limit. Trying to go to 22' puts you into an extreme of having to really watch your weight, and so we STRONGLY RECOMMEND people stop at 21', with their Best Interests in mind.. OK?

There is really another issue here that needs to be dealt with, on maximum size of Bushtracker to be put behind a Toyota for SAFETY... And it is not what you might think... It is not about power.. It is an issue of the length of wheelbase for leverage at high speed, when you have to make a radical maneuver to avoid an accident or a spilled load or a Bullock or something... The wheelbase of the Landcruiser runs out of safety margin somewhere around 21' or 22'... Even my own 100 Series Landcruiser with the OME ARB upgraded Suspension and Nitrocharger Shocks (the little Missus truck), is up on its maximum limit with my 22' van and does not feel safe. There is a limit, and from 12 years of Bushtracker we know that practical limit is 21'.. It is just not safe if something happens to cause a radical move at 100 kph.. There is really not enough leverage to do it safely with the wheelbase of a Landcruiser, and that is where the F-250 or F-350 Ford, or Chev or Dodge trucks really shine. So, with your best interests in mind, I have a moral and ethical obligation to say that you are safer with a limit closer to 21' at a maximum, than 22'.

Please read in the Category TIPS ON SAFETY WHEN TOWING, two Topics there: TREAT IT LIKE A PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVER and 29 TIPS FOR SAFETY WHEN TOWING..

Now in saying that there is one more consideration. We have layouts and equipment from the marine industry that you will not see anywhere else. These are "Land Yachts" for their self-sufficiency and independence in lifestyle and travel, and here you will possibly get some ideas that you had not thought of before with regards to size. You can get a 22' feel of road van of another company, in only a 20' or 21' van in a Bushtracker. In summary, on a visit here you might find you can get it done in 21' without having to go larger. In general, I try and talk people out of going to even 21' with Toyota, if they are going to really load it up. I am trying to look after you for your own best interests, OK?

In summary we strongly recommend you do not go over 21' behind a Toyota sized vehicle for reasons of safety, legality, insurance, and your general health and well being.. Unless you are a Professional Truck Driver with a Medium Rigid License or higher, then maybe OK. In a moment of absent mindedness, you might be able to swerve to avoid that accident in front of you; but you might not be able to recover. Shocked My advice is to tone it down now, at 20-21', rather that potentially live with a Lifetime of regrets later... Wink

Kind Regards from the lone Ranger, who does have a Professional Truck License...... Trying to look after you..
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: