ALTERNATIVE TO THE 200 SERIES, THE CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: ALTERNATIVE TO THE 200 SERIES, THE CHEVROLET SILVERADO Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
This will come as a surprise to many, but after quite a bit of research, on the 200 Series and all other options... The new Bushtracker tow machine is the new LMM Duramax Allison transmission, Crew Cab Chevrolet Silverado. Short wheelbase, single rear wheel, six foot box. Pictures coming... Cool

This is one of the first two dozen to be released in Australia. Mine is a Greystone colour to match the Mack, and dark leather interior for easy maintenance, from Performax International in Gympie (formerly Corvette Queensland... See the trucks on www.performaxinternational.com.au 45 minutes up the road from Bushtracker for maintenance, parts, and Warranty Australia wide and good back up...

Now the why?
This truck is the 2500HD Silverado, the brand new LMM Duramax has 365 Horsepower. They have chunked up the body and style, and the new LMM engine has a mind boggling 895 Newton Meters of torque. Shocked
The Allison Transmission is six speed of smooth, and has a Manual Overide to shift it like a six speed manual if you like... Wink

All of this Power..... Yet with only 700 kms on it, I am getting 11.6 /100 average. These common rail diesels take a while to break in, but usually pick up another 10% in fuel economy. I expect about 10km/litre, on a par with the 200 Series Landcruiser, only with 50% more power and torque, five times the carrying capacity, and more safety of wheelbase for control, all the same quiet driving and luxury...

You deserve to take a look for yourself. I feel Landcruiser has gone now the fourth model away from the Outback Legend that made them famous in the Bush, and become a city luxury wagon... Fine, my Missus might even end up with one for Her round town wagon.. But for an Outback towing machine they are overly complex in my opinion, and suffer for GVM without much capacity. Yes the Silverado is expensive, up in the $125,000 range the same as the Sahara, but it comes with a 1400 kg payload capacity, and I am hoping for about the same fuel economy but with about 50% more power. Right now I am sitting on over 20 miles to the gallon not even broke in.

Look, coming back to live in the City? The 200 Series is still in the running. But want to carry toys, gensets, or outboards, or boats, or bikes, or quad, or anything much at all and you need to look at the Silverado. I did, studied on the Duramax Forums, took a hard look at this new model....And bought it.

Driving? Extreme luxury car. With the air conditioning on, you can hardly hear the engine run at all. I mean the quietest diesel I have heard.. All the luxury appointments you could want, but in a robust Ute. I have ordered a Gull-Wing colour matched canopy, and will probably go with a big slide out drawer system in the bed. Camera is not working today, but pictures coming next week and you can see the new look in this truck on the Performax Website. Mine has a 185 litre long range tank, extreme luxury, and the ladies will like it, with good visibility and memory electrics on the seats and power adjustable pedals... Ladies love to just sit in it!!

In your interests, I am running R&D on this vehicle all this year. It was between this and the 200 Series, and after studying the engineering, this was my pick. Yes, a little longer than a 200 Series, but that is SAFETY in Wheelbase. As much or more luxury, more power, this is the tops. Have a look for yourself.. I am not alone in this, two others have bought them, at least three other Bushtracker Owners are lined up for this new Model, and about a half dozen overall towing Bushtracker vans with the last model the LBZ Duramax. Wink

But what got me was the new engine, 6.6 litre LMM, and the new Chunky body style caught my eye.... It is a major improvement in aesthetics IMO.

The new Fords have not been complianced yet, or the new Dodges, and the Silverado support center is only 45min up the road from Bushtracker Wink The size of this Silverado is not daunting for the city either...

Kind Regards from the lone Ranger...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:35 am; edited 4 times in total
Swifty

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought someone once said that this was a girls car, will you be wearing a skirt now Steve when you drive it Laughing

I have seen the new model, looks great and certainly turns heads.

Paul.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong, this is certainly the Ladies Ute... I am still partial to the Big Rig Truckie feel of Ford. While they are more of a truck, heavier chassis, running gear, suspension, the works... The larger Super Duty Fords are a bit overkill for my needs and most Bushtracker Owners. This Silverado is a highly refined luxury car ute, and a pleasure to drive with all the Luxury Sedan features not normally found in a truck.

The Super Duty Fords, are not Complianced yet, and I wait to see the results and fuel economy. And, since I am not going to build a 38' Gooseneck, the big Ford Super Duty is a bit too much truck for around town. This is a great compromise, Ford trucks for the truck people, Silverado for the Luxury car people that still want the massive towing capacity and safety it offers.

This is not a Big Rig feel, this is a comfortable sedan feel. But have a look: Now they have muscled it up a bit, still drives like a luxury car, but looks and feels a bit tougher. It CERTAINLY fills the gap between an F-350 which is a bit too big for around town.... And the 200 Series, which is a bit too refined for the Outback IMO.. Why I bought it, is why many other Bushtracker Owners have and will be buying it.

Ladies ALL love this Silverado and all of its extreme luxury appointments. I am still a Rig Junkie for the big trucks, but this is a real joy to drive with every conceivable amenity you would expect in a luxury sedan only it is a dual cab ute with a 6' bed, a hybrid Limosine cross truck is the best way to describe it.

Come by and have a look, at what I believe could be the BEST overall tow vehicle, for City life and Outback tow vehicle. Regards Ranger.

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite Frank, I did not like the front end of the last model, to plain low bonnet car look... But this! A bit muscled up, like the engine, and a bit of the Big Rig look... I like it!

All kinds of options, these in chrome, chrome door hands and diesel access, on and on... I left it a bit tame...

Here in this one, the Z71 is the 4x4 suspension, LTZ is the luxury bit, but I like the new body style, muscled up fender bulges like a big crouching tiger..

And the Luxury car feel on the inside, the Jaguar burl look....
And "Power Pedals" to automatically move them up for shorter legs, Ladies will love to drive this.

[/i][/b]

If I ordered one from new, 5 month wait, there are a few things I would have like the in dash brake controller, and power sliding rear window. But this one is pretty nice on it's own with more that I even thought existed in a ute...

And pop the bonnet, the front end bigger means ROOM in the engine bay for service, engine work, and there are two batteries from new... And room for more goodies if you like.. I like it!!

Regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker..
R&D for your benefit on what I think could be come the Bushtracker Number 1 tow vehicle.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bandicoot

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranger
How difficult is it to get after-market items such as bullbars or snorkels?
Do you find these American tugs need an immediate fitout of an after-market suspension, like the Japanese 4WDs?
Bandicoot

VKS-737 0959 (Selcall 0959)
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bandicoot,
Bullbars and winches are readily available from Performax and quite a good looker. Here is what one looks like at Performax.

I cannot tell you why we are so closely aligned with Japan.... But these American tugs as you say have more power for the same fuel, more comfort, and safety that in a pinch can save your life with added control...
On suspension upgrades, you really don't need them. Landcruiser wagons come ready for the city... Salesman tell our Customers (3 reporting) that: "Since 97% of orders are for the city, that is the design." or word to that affect as reported to me.. This Silverado already has a towing suspension, the Z71 is the Off-road version, and it already has a 1400 kg payload and a whopping 9979 kg GCM. What is to upgrade? Laughing Rolling Eyes

On a snorkel evidently ARB has designed a stainless one for it. I don't think I will bother, if I need to go through deep water I might get a piece of accordian duct to run up to the roof on the air intake, but never have had that occasion to need it that deep... Performax has a long list of options, canopy, drawer systems, all sorts of things, and is working with ARB on more.. Regards, Ranger. Loving my chunky tough looking luxury ute..
Dbar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: 2500HD Silverado Reply with quote

Hi Steve.
I thank you for showing me the New Vehicle today, I was so impressed!!!!The interior is more than up to the Sahara standard,this is more than anyone could want, also the fact of not worrying about how much the BT weighs in at.The side mirrors are a great offering more than just a mirror.
This vehicle has so much to offer.
Like Rick & Julie WE WANT ONE !!!!!!
Dbar
Keeping the dream alive!!!!!!
Nevian

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we beat you to it Steve. Delivery was prior to Christmas.

Only problem so far is learning it park it in our city car park, while we wait for the BT to be built.

Mike is getting slightly better consumtpion than you and it seems to be improving as it runs in, as you say.

You are right about the ladies liking it too.

Julie
Ski Clubbers

State:: WA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Tow Vehicles Reply with quote

Hi all. We picked our Silverado up in October last year and are waiting in anticipation for our BT later this year. As Steve mentions the Silverado has great power and oomph and luxury, we are loving it.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the new hidden door model, sort of Club Cab where you can take some other people out to dinner, but a shorter vehicle than the full Crew Cab... This is only 80 cm longer than a 200 Series, but twice the tow vehicle, and also a lot safer with the longer wheelbase and added control.. Any body that can park in the city, can park 80 cm longer. My favorite trick is to back into the parking spots, and hang my bumper over the curb in the back, then 80 cm dissappears altogether Wink

Here is the Club Cab, don't know what they call it, but it is only 80cm longer than a Landcruiser and about twice the capability...

The door has a hidden handle inside and opens like this.

Guests, or massive storage behind the fronts seats...

And this 2008 model, has the coolest feature in that for access the door folds all the way back against the bed... How cool is that !!
[/i][/b]

Maybe before you go spend $90,000 on a 200 Series with serious issues and in need of a suspension and with very minimal carrying capacity... You ought to go have a look at these.. Even living in the city I think it is a better and safer alternative..

80 cm longer, and you get 895 Newton Metres of torque and 375 Horsepower, and a longer wheelbase for safety and control, and more luxury that a Landcruiser?... Better watch out, I am going to talk myself into one... OOOPS, tooo late, already have one... Laughing Laughing Laughing

What's in it for me at Bushtracker, someone asks? Well, you are safer towing a bigger van, that is what is in it for me.. Longer wheelbase, more control, less driver fatigue, no accidents! No Bushtrackers to repair.. Laughing That is what is in it for me.

Regards from the lone Ranger, it is horses for courses, and don't I know that!!!! Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Suz and Jules,
Thank you for your comments.

I am getting a two inch lift for more ground clearance, and heavy duty shocks, and air bags in the back, all from Performax in about 10 days and will show pictures in due course...

In the back, I am getting what I think most of the Bushtracker Owners would want, a full bed sliding drawer system in the bottom, and the Gull Wing Canopy, color coordinated, again from Performax International. Downside? Sad Not for about ten weeks on that as I want the gull wing side doors and it has to be made and shipped here on a truck.... Confused

Oh well, I will be patient. The R&D idea is to out fit it, with the "Optimal" equipment that I think most Bushtracker Owners would want. So you can see, touch, and feel, the real thing here at Bushtracker...

BTW, I just bought a 200 Series, same colour, the Twin Turbo Diesel Wagon, GXL... I have decided, that if I own both, towing both right here at Bushtracker: This will be the absolute unbiased test on size of vehicle and advantages and disadvantages of both vehicles FIRST HAND... The end of the rumour mill. I really am trying to do the right thing by all of you Bushtracker Owners, and this will be the first of its kind, unbiased, Ownership of both vehicles, but the same person, towing the same vans, and I think the viewpoint and reports will be of value...

It will start next week: Picture review, twin turbo, twin battery, long range tanks equipped GXL on Monday..... In 'graphite' color matching the Mack and Silverado... This is REAL TIME R&D, and review, for the benefit of some 50 undecided on tow vehicle Bushtracker Owners as well as those who are thinking of upgrading their Landcruiser for instance..

In your "Best Interests" from the lone Ranger, out there doing it 24/7
Semper Fidelis
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first set of Mods,
After 1500 kms of testing so far here are suspension mods that I am doing, not for Payload, but for clearance and handling:

1) The Silverado is too low slung in the front. This is obvious to most that look at it, and they make a two inch lift for the front so it is more level with the back... And this gives you added ground clearance. This makes it easier to service as well, as right now it is so low you can hardly even acces it to grease it.

2) When you jack up the front 2" to go level, the back when hooked up or loaded up will go down, looking like it is sagging. This and the added capacity makes air bags over the springs in the back a very good idea. This allows you to level the ride with the van hooked up, and gives you the added ground clearance.

3) All new vehicle oil shocks are pretty hopeless for big towing, and the vehicles will be prone to hobby horse too much... A shock upgrade is always advised with any new vehicle...

4) The final thing, and biggest weakness of the Silverado Off-Road, is they can bend Tie Rod ends. They make an inexpensive kit that threads on over the Tie Rod ends, for about $85 U.S. Any severe 4x4 action in rutted out or rock climbing hard ground, you should do this. I would suggest it for all Silverados as it is inexpensive, and takes care of the most prominent weakness. The center link between them is plenty large in the conversion kits, but the Tie Rod ends themselves are prone to bending:

The kit just sleaves over the rod itself.

I have scheduled the vehicle in to Performax International for the suspension Mods in a week. Pictures will follow. And the slide out drawers and gull wing canopy will follow in a couple of months. This is what I would think would be a near ideal tow vehicle set up.

Regards, lone Ranger, horses for courses....

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Nevian

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is terrific for us Steve. We are watching closely your modifications and recommendations with a view to applying to our Silverado.

We will be up at Performax in April, so look forward to the photos.

J and M
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: FIRST STAGE OF R&D Reply with quote

Hello Friends..

I am doing to this Silverado, what I think is Optimal for you to consider yourself, judging from the interest and comments over the years. A drawer set for the rear, and gull wing canopy is yet to come (ordered)..
But here is what the Baby looks like with a 2" lift in front and RAW Nitro Shocks:

This just gives it that much more of ground clearance, and the front was a little low for off-road work... Looks good hey??????

Now in the back, air bags to level the load... Not needed now, but I know me and I am as big of a Pack Rat as anybody. I will fill the 6' drawers with tools and bits, I know me. And this levels the load and RAW Nitro Shocks all the way around to stop any pitch or hobby horse with a big van on the back... My new van will be 22' or 22'6", just working out that right now...

This completes the suspension mods, for control, lift, and ground clearance. It needs none for GVM with a 1400kg payload, and GCM is already 9979 kg.

And I must say, the Staff at Performax International, are a friendly and courteous and efficient Mob... A pleasure to work with...

Kind Regards, Stg
Oz Native

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Did you try towing the 22FT BT with the LC200. Interested to know the difference.
Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Oz Native,
The short answer is no. For sure the 200 Series would be inadequate with the stock suspension.

If we increase our Safety recommendations for maximum size to put behine a Toyota, it would have to be after suspension modifications. The original shocks and springs are too light for towing a big van, and it has always been the case. If they put an adequate suspension under them for the big jobs, it would hurt their sales as they would ride a bit firm in the city running empty for most City People that just drive them as a prestige vehicle with dreams of 4x4... (something like 97% of sales)

It handles really well right now (empty), but I can tell if I loaded it up, the stock shocks you bound around, hobby horse, and the whole thing would be a bit mushy. You would not have the safety margins you need to avoid an accident on the highway with a sudden veer off and correction, until you upgrade the suspension. We are waiting on ARB and TJM releases to give this a fair go... Because it would fail miserably stock....

It is not like the Silverado that has reserve capacities far and above the 22'; the Silverado has about 6 ton towing capacity in engineering. We want to give a fair comparison for the 200 Series, which at a 22' van would be up on its maximum safety restrictions, and you cannot do that until the suspension is modified... FOR SURE!! I am building my own new 22' Bushtracker with some latest R&D and bells and whistles, and I am hoping the 200 Series with suspension mods, will be adequate to tow it. If I had to guess with what I feel now, we will be raising our maximum safe towing size behind the 200 Series to 22'. But wait for confirmation, as I want to make the hard determination first hand with REAL TIME R&D....

On the job, 24/7, I live it full time for a Lifestyle.... Laughing Ranger
jimjan

State:: SA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Silverado tow capacity Reply with quote

Steve,

What is the legal towing capacity of the Silverado?

Jim
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this size of truck it is figured in GCM, Gross Combined Mass of truck and trailer, and is 9979 kg. So you calculate it as less the weight of the Silverado loaded to what ever design you want to carry, canopy and all...

So about 6 ton towing capacity, IF you load the Silverado with about a ton. Mind you that is over the 4500 kg where you need AIR BRAKES... But that is another subject... Regards, Ranger
bert

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Silverado Reply with quote

Hi all,

We have ordered a Silverado extended cab truck to tow our new 21' Bushtracker due in November.

The truck will arrive with LT265-75R17E tyres ( LT = light truck, E= extra strength sidewalls ).

Should we be looking to upgrade these to AT tread pattern given that we are sure to be off road at times or would these tyres do the job until replacement is required ?

Any info or advice would be appreciated, especially from other Silverado owners.

Cheers,

Steve ..... I have since been advised that the Silverado tyre size is LT265/70R17E not as shown above ( i.e. 70 series not 75 series ).

Also, as you have said, the "E" relates to a load rating and my further research ( in the usual place .... www ) has revealed that this is a "Load Range" rating applicable to Light Truck ( LT ) tyres where

Load Range "E" = 10 ply rating = Load Index "116" ( @ 80 psi )

The load capacity of LT-metric tyres can be marked by "Load Range", "Ply Rating" or "Load Index".

Last edited by bert on Sun May 04, 2008 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider doing what I am thinking..... Good tyres, run them out on the van... Exclamation Wink

Buy what ever you want for the tow vehicle... I am thinking of some Pro-Comp Rock Crawler chromies for the tow vehicle and put the stock mags on my own van with the Perelli sort of AT's that are on there now... Will dress up the van.. Then I can put larger and slightly more aggressive AT pattern on the Silverado.. And then.... I have spares EVERYWHERE..

I am even thinking of getting the chromies and tyres for the Silverado in a six pack lot and putting the two extras on the front of the van. In a pinch they will be mismatched on the van but who cares. I will have two spares for the Silverado on the front of the Bushtracker.

Here is what it would look like, and the wheels I am thinking of..

Overkill, like everything I do, Laughing overkill but nice! This person has put them all around, I would re-use the existing Silverado wheels and tyres on mine on the van...

Regards.................
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about the only reasonable wheel to match up to the Silverado.. If you want to match them up on your Bushtracker.

It is a good heavy wheel, chrome.... And a reasonable price. From now on they will be $230 including GST, and Freight, from us or Pro-Comp in Melbourne... And we will credit you our wheels, so the upgrade will only cost about $150 a wheel...

They are also a 17 X 8" and that gives you a little more floatation on soft ground with a wider profile on the tyre... The original Chevrolet Mags are nearly non-existant with a waiting list, and the fancy street mags in my opinion are too frail for outback work, hitting washouts and ruts and rocks and cattle grates a bit too hard. At least these are a solid heavy steel wheel in tha odd size to match the Silverado. In four months of looking, this is the best we have found.

The plan is a set of these wheels will be on my Silverado and my new Van for the Brisbane Show...

Oh, and one more thing edited here, Brian and Dianne: The "E" is a Load Rating that is not widely recognized here, corresponding to a 121 Load Rating here from memory... Anyways, the sticker on the door of your Silverado will probably specify this Load Rating E and say something like 121/180 like the tyres on mine which is the Load Rating and top Speed Rating... Tyres you get have to meet or beat the door sticker....

Kind Regards, stg
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Siverado V F250 Reply with quote

Steve

You compare the Siverado with a Cruiser.
Where do you see it compared to an F250??

Barrie
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maximus,

There is not much comparison with the Brazilian Fords Barrie, and there is no sense in talking about the full Import Fords as they are too rare... They are twice the truck, half the turning radius, five times the luxury...

Look, in the break down between the full imports of Silverado and Ford, there is not a lot practical difference in the luxury and power... I could write volumes on this but it comes down to a very simple issue Barrie: The Fords are a better truck, a truck, big work, long service, monobeam front diff, larger chassis, much larger running gear. The Silverado is a luxury car by comparison, and being a car it has the edge on ride and handling and luxury, for sure.. I have owned both as you know. But if you want to work something hard, on the ranch, out in the Bush, towing a 40 foot fifth wheel pantec furniture or car delivery or cattle truck transport.... Then the Ford is the heavier duty workhorse hands down. Crawl under and have a look under the skirts. The Fords have heavier chassis, bigger running gear, everything..

In saying that, for your purposes, for my purposes, the Silverado luxury car end of things will do the job just fine. Once I gave up on the 38' gooseneck horsefloat, the dually F-350 King Ranch was too big for running around town like I do. Since the new Ford twin turbo 6.4 Powerstroke has not been Complianced yet, and the Chevrolet Dealer is 45 minutes away, I made the conversion...

Both will do the job. Paramedics, Fire Companies, Ranches, Forestry, Fish and Game, Oil Fields, this kind of work and the Fords are always there 10 to 1 over anything else... But in Luxury, around the City, in Government Vehicles for Dignitaries, in Luxury the Silverado is always King.... Now, for you Bushtracker Owners, I really think the Luxury wins out, I mean come on, we are not doing Service Body work in the Oil Fields... Laughing The Silverado is certainly a contender... Me, I am still a Ford man... Laughing The Silverado is certainly a lovely Luxury car... But if I did not have to live in the city parking, I would get an F-450 wide front end with a dually rear, 17 ton GVM, but this is a Truck not a car.. Laughing

Barrie, for our purposes, the Silverado wins out.... But the new Fords are not even complianced yet, and they are tougher when they come... Necessary for our purposes? Probably not... Wink
pce

State:: SA
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Silverado Clearance Reply with quote

For the first time I saw a Silverado on the road today, (Adelaide is clearly a long way from Brisbane), it was, I think a 4x4 crew cab HD2500, with what looked to be slightly raised suspension (lots of clearance above the wheels) and looked great.
But, as it pulled away from me I noticed the rear differential seemed very close to the ground. It seemed to significantly reduce the clearance.
Is this an issue?
pce
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,
Since I am building the "Dream Machine" tow vehicle here, I am correcting all of the shortcomings and adding the best of the innovations in accessories that you who would like the very best might want...

Here are the Tie Rod End Sleaves, that reinforce the Tie Rod ends that could be bent in hard off-road conditions... These sleaves are machined to go over the originals with the same alignment settings:

And here is the tuning system I have elected to go to after a month of Research, that will result in about a 2-3 miles per gallon economy increase. Read about it in the Topic THE NEW DPF EMISSION CONTROLS AND FUEL ECONOMY INCREASE..

Just be careful and follow the instructions on that Topic so you don't run into Warranty problems... This can go up to the Drag Truck level and with a stock transmission you will KILL IT !!!

Yet to come will be the performance results in Real Time for fuel economy, and the Gull Wing Canopy and fridge slide out, and the DPF removal...

Real time, real results, horses you know... Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maximus, some piccies to dream and plan on....

With the DPF off these Silverados, I suspect the will meet or beat the new 200 Series for fuel economy... And no they are not talking about quiting the Silverado, for GM, they might quit the civilian Hummer...

Any way per your request, the next stage of DEVELOPMENT on the Silverado with most Optimal Gear that I think most Owners would benefit from:

First ones in the back, give their nod of approval....

Nice Body match, in contour and paint ......
The flash on the camera picks the metalflake up differently, but it is actually a perfect match.... "SNUG TOP"

Weather Guards over window, in dark perspex, a must for leaving windows open in rainy hot weather... And you can see the body match of the canopy...

The Bull Bar they offer... Pretty stout for alloy...

Bonnet Protector to match weather guards for windows in dark perspex.

And a 15,000 Lb, WARN Winch nicely fitted by Performax....

And here is how the fridge will slide out...

One more toy, on those cold days, leave the heater on... The truck has remote start, and remote stop, that can be run off the key chain... Fun toys.. Laughing

And last but not least, the Tie Rod End Sleaves, to reinforce the front suspension... A MUST in my opinion... They are the silver bit, installed.
Now yes, it is an Independent, with all the added complications... But compare this to the 200 Series and you see a difference.
The 200 Series is a car independent, with too many exposed liabilities..
The Silverado Independent is a truck unit, and possibly a little more robust.

In saying all of this, if you want to carry any more that I have shown, THIS IS NOT THE VEHICLE FOR YOU, as the payload is too small. You need to go to a Dual Rear Wheel in a Chevrolet or the Ford Super Duty F-350 single rear wheel that also carries a ton more than the 2500 HD... Watch how much you plan on loading it up... Wink

Regards, Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engineering Analysis on the ECB Bullbar supplied by Performax

First, I like the clearance to the body, if you do hit a BIG RED, there is room to move before getting into the body...

Next, I like the Cooling inserts with a grid fins sort of opening for cooling to the lower end, transmission cooler, and the rest...

And, here is the reinforcing plate on the outside roll of the Bullbar in 6mm..

And top plate all in 6mm... Overall this seems to be a very good Bar in Alloy..

It got my approval, not sure I have seen better on ANY Silverado.. Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Stages of R&R Silverado...

I have put the best in all optional equipment on this vehicle, and here are a good value in running lights: These are machined alloy body, 220 mm, Britax X-Ray driving lights, the legal tender in Europe with a layer of blue LEDs that make them glow blue with the parking lights on.. Plenty of light, and they fit the Silverado quite well.

We have 4 other R&D vehicles and may run some comparison testing on other lights, but these are quite adequate and quite robust, and have a cute feature of Blue LEDs in a row, with the parkers are on driving in cloudy or overcast or dusk/dawn conditions...

Moderately priced in the $400 a pair range, and a strong machined alloy case, they are certainly in the running. Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the R&D is nearly finished.... After a couple of meeting at Performax, they are getting set up in EFI Live, the largest and most interactive way to modify all the features on the Silverado.. The purpose will be to do the DPF delete and retune the engine for fuel economy, which I anticipate will rival the 200 Series towing at about 6km per litre...

Anyway the news... There are no Silverados in stock, but you can have this one. I think I have outfitted it with the very best of the best. I also think it may be the very best colour to hide the road grime, and the best canopy with Gull Wing openings on the false floor of the drawer system. I have more than this in it, but will sell it for $135,000 if anyone wants it. That is with the 2" lift, adjustable air bags over suspension in the back, bull bar, Quadzilla tuner and DTC code reader, 15,000 lb Warn winch, drawer system, color coded canopy, weather guards on all four windows, bonnet protector, driving lights, upgraded shocks, front suspension upgrade with the tie rod sleeves, Long Range tank 185 litre under the bed, third battery setup in locker before wheelwell, fridge slide out, security lockup box, and heavy duty side bars and steps in chrome. Just about everything top of the line that someone would want for a top tow vehicle...and the rest I cannot remember right now.. Everything I have shown you...

Anyway, if anyone wants it, it is a lovely ride. What am I going to do now? Well after this double scotch, I have to say I made a mistake is selling my Dually. I am going to go for another dually, with respect, I need the capability to do a big gooseneck horse float.... We are now State and National Competitors, yes and OBSESSED, ok admitted, and I am going to have to go to back to a dually. (Dual rear wheel little big rig and longer) In hindsight I probably should not have sold the last one.. But I have to do the R&D for the benefit of you Owners. Anyway, this Silverado is perfect, about 8800 kms right now, just broke in and running smooth, just had its first service... Flawless. Buy this one, or build your own for more $$. I can sell it for the R&D tax relief. Mind you, I will probably stay with Performax and the Silverado, just go to a 3500 long bed Dually, and to h*** with parking problems, they can stay out of my way Laughing Laughing Warranty transferable, vehicle perfect.

See it at the Office most days,
Regards from the Mad Horseman at Bushtracker...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE AUGUST 2009

Hello Friends,
As most of you know, I have upgraded to a Dually, Silverado 3500 HD, for all the reasons of towing 5-7 ton Horse and Toy hauler... And so you can see the interior and options of my 09 Silverado here at Bushtracker and there is a Topic on the options available. This posting is to give you an idea of the current status and popularity of the new LMM Silverado two years on now...

Now, of course most of you do not need this large of a vehicle in a long bed dually. I just want to make you aware that the Silverado is gaining in popularity day by day, and there are now about as many towing Bushtrackers as there are Toyota 200 Series towing. I would estimate we are 50 Silverados or more. It is so common that there are now days when there are two or three Silverados here at once, like today:

This is the size most are going for, but there is one size smaller yet that I show you previously in this Thread, that is only 80 cm larger than the 200 Series. Yet, it has an Isuzu Based V-8 Turbo diesel, and Allison 6 speed auto with tow haul mode, and the luxury of a Sahara for about the same money.... 895 NM torque, stock at 365 HP, more power, more luxury, more control over the Bushtracker, it is safer and more comfortable and carries far more than a 200 Series and is certainly worth the look and study before you buy a 200 Series, OK?

I get nothing out of this, no commission, and while yes, I have probably influenced the sale of 25 Silverados or more, I do this for your benefit. I do this with "Your Best Interests" in mind.. OK?

Regards, stg.... Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I have to put a stern warning here, as it seems that about half of the Silverado 2500 HD that are towing Bushtrackers are running ILLEGAL and over their GVM by a huge margin. Now why should I bother? Look, I am here trying to look after you, and the Silverado should only have a fiberglass canopy on it and nothing much more. It is basically like a ute body on a car chassis as I have shown you, and it only has a payload of about 700 kg, and from memory that is without even the bed on it! Now again why should I bother about this? It is not about the fine, it is about ILLEGAL MOTOR VEHICLE if your are over your GVM. In an accident that can mean NO INSURANCE COVERAGE.

I cannot stress this enough, and the truth is the Insurance Companies got into trouble in this Global Financial Crisis and they are going to have to start clamping down. Shocked Shocked If you are in a major accident, at their option they can weigh the tow vehicle if it looks like you were overweight, and there is no defence in Court. The arguement is even if an idiot pulled out in front of you or hit you and caused the accident, it is YOUR fault as if you had not been overloaded you would have been able to pull up in time.... The Silverado, carries only 700 kg including the bed.. This is a luxury car with a ute body... If you look like this, and wreck it, you can be in major strife.

If an Insurance Assessor knows the vehicles, he will know this is blatantly overloaded, and the Owner could lose it all, I mean everything associated with the accident Liability and all...! There are too many of these running around overloaded. Actually, the Dealer should have enquired what they were going to do with it, and NOT SOLD IT TO THEM for anything more than a fiberglass canopy and drawers like mine was done up..

Here is another one, highly likely overloaded. If this is the kind of rig you want with all the toys and storage and tankage, then you should get something with more GVM than a 2500 HD Silverado. It just does not have the payload capability. The Silverado 2500 HD is just a bit more of a car, this one even looks overloaded sagging a bit in the rear..

You need to pay attention to the GVM. If you are a Chevrolet lover, OK, I have owned two, but you need to question the GVM. I ended up having to go to a Super Duty Ford, because even the Silverado 3500 HD Dually did not get adequate GVM for my large Gooseneck Horsefloat.. Now I understand, for parking in town and such, yes a dually is a pain you have to learn to adapt to, but you have to make this move or go to the Fords Super Duty F-350 Single Rear Wheel (SRW) that have a much higher GVM in each class.

If you are going to load one up like this: You need to think about something like the F-250 SRW the same size truck with 359 kg more GVM at 4536 kg. Or, you can go right up to the F-350 SRW (Single Rear Wheel), again the same size of truck, but it can go up to 5171 GVM.... A long ton more... Even in the Short Wheel Base (SWB) short bed, only 80 cms longer than a 200 Series, the GVM is over 5 ton at 5080. It is the same size truck, just a monobeam front axle and higher payload, and a bit more heavy duty.

And it is not just the GVM and Luxury, the 4x4 front end of the Silverado on the left, vrs the monobeam front axle the Ford on the right... The Silverado appears to be on a car style chassis and front end, where the Super Duty Ford is on a truck style chassis and front end. Same luxury or better, but the Super Duty Fords have less exposed bits in a more durable front drive axle assembly.. Even if you reinforce the tie rod ends like the picture shows for the Silverado, there is still a lot of exposed rubber and struts and such...

Silverado car style front end.........................................................Ford 4x4 Super Duty truck style front end...

My point is that if you are going to really load up a Silverado, you have to pay attention to the GVM which is inadequate for these applications. The 2500 HD is not up to the task for much more than a light canopy and drawer system like mine had, it can only run to 4177 kg and the truth is mine was overloaded before I finished loading it... On the other hand, the new Super Duty Fords have the same level of luxury car luxury now in 2009-2010, but they also have the GVM to really load up like this. There are Topics on the new Super Duty Fords in this section. In a Single Rear Wheel, they go up over 5 ton like it takes a Dual Real Wheel in a Silverado to do.

Understand, it is my own feeling of Duty, to draw this to your attention. You could lose everything in an accident. Get the horses for the courses. I am dissapointed that the Dealer for the Silverados did not put more emphasis on this for you Bushtracker Owners, as as many as half of you are over loaded. But it is not too late to change, BEFORE you have a mishap. You either need to upgrade to a Dually in a Chevy if you are a Chevy person, or get the Super Duty Fords that have the same luxury but are higher rated in each class, and can nearly do the Chevy Dual Rear Wheel job in a Single Rear Wheel F-350

Don't go away miffed at me. Don't go join the hate Steve Club on another Forum that could not take bad news.
Instead appreciate that there is someone here, trying to look after your best interests. Look to make the proper changes while you still can, before disaster strikes..

I was just not sure any of you realized that the new F-350 Super Duty carries almost a ton more, comes not only in Single Rear Wheels, and Short Wheel Base, but also in a cut down CrewCab called a SuperCab with a rear bench seat that is not much bigger than a Toyota 200 Series...

In this Category, there is a Topic on this: SWB F-350, Super Duty GVM and Only 80 cm longer than Toyota

Those of you that are over your GVM, or suspect it? Get it weighed, costs about $10, and if you are over as many of you are: Make the change while you can before you get into strife, to a Chevy Dual Rear Wheel GVM or the above Ford Single Rear Wheel F-350... Wink

Semper Fidelis
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: