NO ROOM UNDER? UTE BED? ALTERNATE LONG RANGE TANK DESIGN:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: NO ROOM UNDER? UTE BED? ALTERNATE LONG RANGE TANK DESIGN: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

This is top line gear, Graco Pump, and even an automatic shut off. I am putting this 200 litre model in the bed of the Silverado. It measures 900mm long and 750mm wide. I have a 400 litre one as well, but it may or may not fit in the new gull wing opening window canopy I have ordered for the Silverado. Cost is about $1000, $1150 with the automatic shutoff nozzle shown here. This is about half the price of a tank built in...

Anyway, here is what will fit well... Long range tanks like this mean filling up at cheaper locations and passing up the expensive ones. Why for me when I have a 185 litre long range tank in the Silverado? In my case, I fill tractors and such out on the horse property. And also, you never have too much fuel (in diesel that is).... This would give me a range that means I would only fill in the major towns and cities where it is about 30% cheaper than at the remote Bush bowsers...

The 400 litre one is 1625mm long, and would only across the bed of a tray back for most people...

Regards, stg
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great, 1/2 the price of an installed tank and ease of mobility ..... just connect 12v and pump it into the main tank i presume?

Any contact details Steve?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you can get them from us, or Rapid Spray in NSW in Singleton, or Melbourne, call them on 02 6578-8100 or call Sales Rep Jason on 02 6578-8107 and tell them Bushtracker sent you.

I spent the extra $150 or so for automatic shut off nozzles, and it is a Graco Pump, a big name in pumps like this. Doubt you could wear it out in 25 years, sort of fueling heavy equipment full time commercial use pump.... Graco. Top bit of gear...

Mine is in the back of the Silverado with diesel in it now. Fuels our forklift, my truck, tractors on the property, what ever... No I only have to go to the bowser about once a month if that !!! Outback I think it would pay for itself in short order. Even my truck that has 185 litres of tankage in the Silverado, this makes it 385, which is enough to get to cheap fuel again somewhere...

stg
naustin

State:: South Australia / QLD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve do they make smaller tanks set up like this? I'm considering getting rid of the three gerry cans at the front and setting up something like this on the drawbar instead. An 80 - 100ltr version would be good.

Neil
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would have to call them.... But I would say your idea is busted. As: It is illegal on the drawbar, hands down, no issue....

You can get away with Jerry Cans of diesel, I have never heard of that being inforced, but a pumping fuel container like that is a NO-NO... Sorry.
Jerry cans are a hassle, specially to pour. But here is a trick for you.... Whale makes a little 12v submersible water OR diesel pump, that fits down the spout of a jerry can of diesel and designed just for that. It pumps about 10 litres a minute from memory, used one for years...

DANGER, DANGER, NOT FOR PETROL, EXPLOSIVE!!!!! Twisted Evil Exclamation Twisted Evil

Now back to what I was talking about, this means you plug it in and pump to your tank or your Webasto tank without lugging the heavy can.. I have used them for about 12 years or more, and they work very well... I still have one or two of them around, and use them for fuel transfer, just drop them in and away you go... I put a little shut off valve on them. When done, pick up the opposite end and drain the line back into the tank with the pump shut off and remove the pump to put back in a plastic hession sack... Done it for years.
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve,

Found the web site for them, all the specs / sizes etc herehttp://www.rapidspray.com.au/products/4.html

will look into this, i see far better value with a removeable type of aux tank.

Cheers
Mick
AJ and LJ

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Long range fuel tank Reply with quote

I think I know the answer but what is your opinion on using a 200ltr portable diesel tank fastened down in the back of a 100 series wagon.It would save a lot of conversion on my vehicle eg spare tyre and fitting long range fixed tanks.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you probably know the answer... Laughing No, illegal...

While practical and possible, IF IT WAS VENTED to the outside, I would say you could do functionally do it.. HOWEVER, IT IS DEAD ILLEGAL and could void your insurance as you could not idiot proof it for fire, fumes, and re-fueling INSIDE the tow vehicle... Outside, ok, not inside... Sorry.. Sad

www.rapidspray.com.au

Kind Regards from the lone Ranger...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought the third one now...

I am leaving for Tamworth, the NRHA Reining Horse Nationals, and I hate filling up at Servos, especially in States that charge more tax... Rolling Eyes

My 400 Litre is in the bed of the Super Max.. My other 200 Litre is stranded in Mt. Isa in Tracy's Dodge. So I like them so much I bought another one, 200 litre, auto shutoff. Here is is mounted in the back of my F-350 King Ranch, ready to go; next to the Trailblazer Fridge done in Bushtracker Checkerplate...

The additional filter is a water separator, in a position where I can see it. If I get questionable fuel out Bush, it will go into this 200 litre tank first, then be pumped into the King Ranch F-350. Tracy and Matt "borrowed" my other 200 litre for the last DVD trip, and they want to "borrow" it again in November for another trip through the Red Centre for the next DVD. When I get time... Rolling Eyes I will box it in a little more attractive... Shocked

It is a bit ugly, but VERY SERVICEABLE, just like me! Laughing Laughing

Regards from the lone road Ranger...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is now finished out, and encased in Alloy Checkplate:

Note the visible filter housing on top.. I will put all Bush Diesel IN THIS TANK FIRST, and then pump out to the truck.. If I start to see water or gunk I can quit pumping and keep the truck clean... Idea Just an idea...

Matches the Checker Plate of the Bushtracker and the Trailblazer Fridge..
With room for the dogs behind on those two chains..

And now I have added two storage and spares boxes, matched the same, for massive storage:

And still have room for a 8 ton ball hookup for Goose Neck Horse Float when I find one at the right price... Wink

After all these years, I still love Alloy Checkerplate... And it seems to have caught on. Not only is it on just about every van built in Australia now since we debut it at the Shows in the 1990's, but also I see it on trendy furniture under glass on coffee tables and Conference tables in the likes of Architects and Accountants Offices... We must be onto something... Laughing Laughing

Thought maybe some of you would enjoy what the road Ranger is up to with his latest truck now since the Silverado is gone... The Silverado was a nice car, but THIS is a real beast of a truck. I am glad to be back to a LWB Dually.. What amazing control on the road !!! More brakes, more traction, 6 wheels grabbing is just awesome... Wink

Mind you it would be nice to have the Heavy Duty Dually Silverado HD3500, all black, chrome stacks... Rolling Eyes Just because Service would be so nice to have right up there in Gympie... But with a .66 A$ that isn't going to happen any time soon.. Besides I like the truck gear of the King Ranch F-350 with the big Monobeam Live front axle, everything encased in a big front diff housing below:

Vrs the Car front end of the Silverado, with the exposed bits, among other things the weak exposed tie rod ends you really need to sleeve shown below, just have to be more careful what you run into.. OK? Shocked

The Truth, owned Both in 2008 and both are VERY NICE vehicles... And, maybe some day I will get the HD3500, just for the good Service and Backup right up there in Gympie, just for convenience... But for the foreseable future I will stick with the King Ranch F-350.

Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warning, for those of you using these tanks, on the trail ahead from the lone Ranger...

The seal with diesel has broken down in both tanks... Now this would not be as much of a problem unless it is out in the open in the rain like both of mine. I discovered water in the diesel, in my tractors I use for mowing out on the horse property. First it was the 400 litre one, and now the 200 litre one in my F-350 shown above.

Here is the fix:

We have remove the main pump top with the hex head screws all around.

It appears that a type of Silicone was the sealant, and it has softened and expanded in contact with the diesel..

The fix we are doing is Engine Sealant on both sides of the thickest blank gasket material we could by. We will cut the shape of the new gasket and coat both sides and re-assemble.

Now, for the past 20 years I have done something that is controversial. It has always worked well. I made up a secondary cannister to suck the water out of the bottom of the tank. I jammed a vacuum cleaner in the secondary cannister, in this case a plastic chemical 15 litre drum. And in the bung hole I took a take off hose in 1/2" with a piece of copper pipe on the end. The normal vacuum cleaner created the suction at the top of the drum, the 1/2" suck diesel into the bottom of the drum. It looks like this:

Now this is DEAD AGAINST ALL HEALTH AND SAFETY LAWS... and IF YOU DID THIS WITH PETROL YOU WOULD BLOW YOURSELF UP... But I have gotten away with doing this with diesel and oil in the bilge of yachts for the past 30 years. It is what I have done to remove water from the bottom of a tank like this, where removing and draining it would have been a major job.. The water was in little pools, about a litre in total, about 30mm in the bottom of the above picture, with about 50mm of diesel also sucked up into it...

Now I am not telling you to do this. Theoretically the diesel fumes could be flammable. I am just showing you what I did, and have done, with remote cannister shop vac liquid sucking applications like this for 20 years. Do not do this on your own. I am just answering the question someone posed, "how did you get the water out?".

Kind Regards from the lone Ranger...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

The Rapid Spray Company have improved their product. The tank is now 240 litres, with a slight variation in the mould. Also, they have changed the gasket that reacted and softened with the diesel, and have a new lid design on a solid neoprene rubber gasket.

They have also improved the filler design, and pump system. And the vent is improved as well. It now looks like this:

New pump, filler cap, and vent organization on new lid

New Filler Cap system, more of a vented automotic style, locking type..

New stainless screen filter in the filler neck

New venting system, and mounting system for auto shut off nozzle.
It is all neatened up and improved... I like it!
Wink

Regards from the road Ranger... And I can fuel you up too !!! Idea
This is all for about half the price of a built in tank, and it comes with a hose and nozzle to fill up tractors or what else you like.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: