ALL THE GUFF ON A NEW FORCED AIR DIESEL HEATER OFFERED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: ALL THE GUFF ON A NEW FORCED AIR DIESEL HEATER OFFERED Reply with quote

All but one Owner in the Production Schedule, have switched over to our new Heater on offer, here is the introduction from the Office:

As you are aware, we at Bushtracker continue to push the threshold in research and development with not only the vans themselves but also with new products released for the vans. It is for this reason that for the last few months we have been thoroughly testing a new diesel heater which we are now happy to offer as an upgrade, at no additional cost. The Dometic Eberspacher diesel heater has the following benefits:

1. It is self priming.... Up to 10 metres in testing, just turn it on.. Where the Webasto is a drama and a can be a hassle to manually prime it if you run out of fuel (and it is easy to be careless or forgetful and run out).

2. The unit comes standard with a digital thermostat display as opposed to the rotary dial of the Webasto.

3. There are four power settings the unit cycles through from low to high, instead of just two running settings of low and high. The manufactuer claim this allows some power and fuel savings as the unit throttles back, and while we have not been able to prove this, their case is logical. It is pleasing to use as it throttles back as you approach temperature.

4. The unit is 10% more powerful, 2.2 KW in comparison to the Webasto 2.0 KW

5. The heater also has available the option of a towel rail adaptor which gives you not only the second outlet in the ensuite, but also 2 heated rails for your towels etc. This will not fit all ensuite designs but, if
suitable, is an additional $ 195.00 installed.

Dometic is also offering to those who switch over from the Webasto, a free upgrade to the full digital display thermostat with timer function.
For more information, and pictures feel free to visit our Forum at the ‘Tips on designing your new Bushtracker’ section.

If you wish to upgrade to this heater from the Webasto at no additional charge, please notify us by e-mail.

Kind regards,
The Team at Bushtracker

Now for the Record, there has been some misinformation spread on another Chat Forum and here is what I have Posted in the Owners Section:

Friends,

I do not monitor the chat forum. But we have to set misinformation straight, given to Owners, at least twice a week that the Staff at Bushtracker are not happy with but, that is OK. The information is sometimes off track, obsolete, not up to date, erroneous in one form or another. I started this Forum: Straight and True, and in the "Best Interests of Bushtracker Owners" and of course so there is no conflict of interests here, as it is for Free. I do not normally get bogged down by other Forums, and no longer monitor those Sites.

But this time I feel it is just plain misleading. We have chosen to offer the Eberspacher Heater because of the reasons outlined, in that we think it is 10% more powerful, and more energy and fuel efficient, and more user friendly with the controls and programmer and timer... And about 25 of you Owners have already switched over... To try and keep their Sponsor, this (according to one of our Owners who copied it and sent it to me) one of their "Committee" posted this: (Copy and paste)

Copy:
There is a very significant operational difference that made me decide to step away from the Eberspacher/Dometic product.

Both heaters will go into fault lockout mode if a problem occurs, a problem such as overheating due to accidental blockage of the air intake, not uncommon when items are stuffed into a storage area near the heater or intake.
The other more common cause for fault lockout is fuel starvation, the tank has run out of fuel. Fault lockout will occur when the heater has attempted to re-start itself 3 times.

If a Webasto runs out of fuel and goes to fault lockout the owner can override this function to enable fuel priming. (Or to restart after an airway blockage has been cleared.) Just switch the heater off for 30 seconds.
It may be necessary to repeat this process several times if there is a long fuel line from the tank to the heater.

With the Eberspacher/Dometic product the fault lockout can not be overridden by the owner, it requires a service technician with a laptop computer and the factory software to do this. So if you are in a remote area and your Dometic heater goes to fault lockout you are up the proverbial creek.

Not the best choice for a van that has been designed to tour in remote areas.

THIS IS GROSSLY MISLEADING

Anyway, this comes from the Dometic: "There has never been one "Lock-out" in the history of Dometic Distribution in Australia"... Or words to that effect...

And this from Eberspacher: (Direct Copy)
The truth is our Diesel heaters will not lock the user out unless 255 start attempts are made resulting in 255 consecutive failures of the same code.

Let me explain.

1. There are basically 2 error codes in question, failure to start (no fuel, no combustion air, are 2 examples) Over heating (Air intake covered, air out let covered, are 2 examples)

2. For the system to lock the user out the system you would have to log 255 consecutive errors of the same type.

3. As an example, if the system logged 254 consecutive failure to start and the then 1 over heat failure the 254 failure to start would be deleted and the count would begin again.

4. On top of this the 7 day timer control (the most common control used) can delete the errors and reset the system. If that was ever needed! You do not need a computer and special soft ware to reset the system.

5. I think you can see if a customer had 255 consecutive failures to start or 255 consecutive over heat cut outs failures the heater would need to be serviced.

6. When it comes to running out of fuel and priming the fuel pump this is absolutely no problem!

Friends, please feel free to be entertained on the other Chat Forum... But before acting on any advice, please check with us, "With your Best Interests in Mind".

We are not "Bent" by Membership Fees or Sponsors money Politics on this Forum. Our information to the best of my ability is posted without any Bias. I continue to serve, free of charge, without remuneration, to help smooooth out the road for you a little. My way of saying Thank You.. This Forum stays "In the Best Interests of Bushtracker Owners".

Kindest Regards, lone Ranger. From the Pacific Coast Reining Championships via Next G Network...
Semper Fidelis
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our concerned Owners writes:

Thank you,

I saw the information on the forum last night. Once again misinformation was peddled. As previously stated I will always approach the most knowledgeable source for my answers and I thank Bushtracker for their efforts. I always suspected that the other information was rubbish but unfortunately it can colour peoples viewpoints.

I guess that all Bushtracker can do is to get the correct information “out there”.

XXX and I are more than happy to go with the Erberspacher and the heated towel rail as previously notified.

Kind regards,

XXXXXX XXXXXXX
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE MAY 09 on our new heater offered:

The Heater has performed really well. One note of significance, is that it is a more finely tuned product, and seems to not only produce about 10% more heat but also use about that same amount of less fuel with one caveat: You need to feed it clean fuel.

We have only had three problems in all the ones we have installed, maybe 60 or 70 in use now in a year. Two were from "gunky" fuel, and we had to clean out the fuel delivery system. One was from a design change in how we were instructed to installed it, and Dometic themselves fixed that one...

We remain Faithful to you Bushtracker Owners and will always endeavor to put the Fair Dinkum up for your benefit, and do it without any membership fees. This Forum will remain Free and Faithful, and "In Your Best Interests". Before acting on any other advice, please check with us, and we will give you the unbiased information.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri May 22, 2009 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i spoke to a bloke yesterday who fitted his own Dometic diesel heater to his Boroma and he mentioned that to alleviate any algae growth in the fuel tank was to paint the tank black or mount the tank so that it is out of the direct sun light. He mentioned the tanks are a blue colour? Another tip he mentioned was to run the fuel line inside another hose similar to what's used on the pressure hoses of our vans, reason being to protect the fuel line from accidental stone damage.

Our dilemma is we want a diesel heater but we are no where near the BT factory to use their expertise, I am concerned that any other fitter won't do the install as neat or as precise as what we could expect from BT.

your views on that Steve?
07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick,
You are a pretty handy Bloke, and I would suggest you could supervise a bit and accomplish the same thing... Fuel lines, run in hose, or water pressure line or air line tubing, or even a flex electrical conduit sheath, cheap and simple... It is all pretty simple, and you can copy our style with the alloy checkerplate cover on the heater... Check out a late model BT coming through your area and just copy the installation as it is not that hard...... Time consuming, but not that difficult. Have a look at one, buy them a bottle of wine, and take some pictures... Wink OK?

On the fuel issue, kerosene is a lovely disinfectant, and makes super cold weather Alpine diesel, and I would just add a litre or two, to the tank when it was sitting around through summer. A litre or two per tank solves any diesel problems in a super cold winter as well with diesel gel. The rest of the time: Clean diesel and semi continuous use in winter and I don't see a problem.

A painted tank idea will not hurt a thing, I just do not know if it is necessary and it is very hard to paint that poly.. It is under the nosecone and behind the tyre, as long as you do not leave it all summer without a litre dose of kerosene.. Or a spoon of biocide diesel treatment, I do not see a problem..

Best Regards, stg
BobnDi

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

We haven't used our heater since we picked up our new van last November and were unaware of this issue. Would you suggest the kerosene or the biocide diesel treatment in our case.

Hello Bob and Di, To be on the safe side?
Maybe see if you can drain the tank into a bucket and look at the fuel. If there is no black algae or water, then pour it back in. And, I would probably add a litre of kero per above... Regards, stg

safi1

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

We left home on Sunshine Coast last Friday 22 and are currently at Tenterfield where it's very cold and will be here for the next week. We tested all our equipment prior to departing, but since arriving here we are unable to get our Dometic heater to work.
After turning it on, about a minute later I can hear the fan start up but then after another minute and half it shuts down again only to repeat this every minute or so. Then I am unable to turn it off at the switch and have to turn off the power.
I am not technically or mechanically minded but would appreciate your input. We are on a trip to Central Australia, but need to get this fixed first.

Cheers

Gordon
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a highly tuned piece of equipment, that delivers 10% more for its cost, at 10% better fuel economy as well, but you have to have good fuel in it...

Dispite misleading misinformation on other Chat Forums, we elected to go to this heater at the same cost, for its higher efficiency.. More heat, for less fuel... But they are fuel sensitive, and that has been the only problems with them... We have been filling the tanks from new out of our dirty forklift bowser, and we have just Friday decided we need to use clean new fuel and clean new cans only... This could even be our fault if your van is new...!!!

Call Wayne at the Shop on Monday, with the age of your van, and age of the fuel in the tank. It has been nearly a 100% fuel problem in all cases..
Call Wayne with what to do to clear it... We are dedicating new fuel cans to only fuel for these heaters, not old rained on dirty fuel cans of shop grade poor fuel condition...

Apologies for any grammer or typos, I have played with two trucks, my horsefloat, and trained two horses today, and am not on my second glass of good red... Laughing Laughing

Best Regards, stg
safi1

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your prompt reply. Van was purchased new last October and on a trip south soon after, the heater worked brilliantly and we were delighted.
Will phone Wayne on Monday.

Thanks

Gordon

Again, this sounds like a fuel management problem, kerosene, pickle the tank when not in use during the summer sort of thing...
Regards, stg
safi1

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. You were correct in your analysis regarding bad fuel. I contacted a friend who had a similar problem and ended up draining about a litre from the diesel tank. It is now is working well again. Have noted your advice regarding the kerosene in future.

Thanks again

Gordon
safi1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up on our heater problem. It failed again to fire up. The pump was clicking over but with no fuel coming through, it was totally clogged. Phone call tp Peter Wishart at Dometic and a new pump arrived here by express mail together with an additional fuel filter to fit to the diesel tank outlet. The heater fired up after 2 starts and I ran it for an hour. Now keeping fingers crossed.

Incidentally, the fuel filter Dometic sent me is obtainable at Repco, Part No RPF 1003. However, it is exposed as the plate protecting the bottom of the tank outlet does not extend far enough to cover this plastic filter. I intend to purchase a couple of spares and wrap this one in some rubber.

Gordon

Yea, every problem with this heater has been fuel related. We should put in that filter, and will look into it. On the inlet side of the pump is the existing filter that takes a 12mm and a 17mm spanner to open it... Cleans out with metho, and you have to be extremely careful with a small screw driver to work it gently out. I think it is in the too hard basket, and it was nice of them to just send you a new pump instead. Anyone trying this: DO NOT OPEN THE WRONG END, that is a disaster waiting.. I think everyone should put that fuel filter in, and I will look into getting them to include it in the "kit". Regards, stg
oldfella

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Dust in heater Reply with quote

We have just returned from 6 weeks out in the dusty west of Qld 2000k on gravel roads & have had a problem with dust being injested into the dometic heater it appears that the air inlet pipe was lying in the dust mound that built up on the protection plate under the van, this stoped the heater from operating so if anybody has the same set up it might be worth checking
Cheers
Graham.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the first we have heard of that one... If it is not a freak occurance then we might have to alter the armour plate to let the dust build up fall out with the vibration.. I will look into modifications, holes drilled, angle, or something...

A picture would be handy if it happens again Graham, if it is dry build up or damp dew build up or what, but this is the first report ... Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lone Rangers current R&D on the matter and the cooperation of the Manufacturers:

Well here is the Research in Motion.... And the upgrades...

ALL heaters, due to imperfect fuel source and problems with algae and fungus and other gunky materials need this fuel filter in line right after the tank for easy access. You can get it at any Auto Supply source...

Fuel Filter on the Left of the above picture: It has come on all recent Bushtrackers, and those that do not have it should put it in line at a convenient location like right after the tank. For Retrofit: If you call Dometic they will send you out this kit and instructions that show the hose clamped adaptor kit right at the tank.

Actually, I first did this 12 months ago on a Diesel Tractor and Excavator on my property, for all the same reasons of gunk in fuel and a hard to get to tiny screen filter on the Injection Pump intake... And here is the same R&D applied to the heater, a little pre-filter as the tiny filter on the pump is not readily accessible.. Wink

As to dust collection potential at the intake, we have Dometic considering an additional dust filter on the air intake, similar to the one shown on the right. At the same time we are looking to change the armour cover to keep dust from building up, as it may not be necessary to add a filter that would need to be cleaned now and then... Advice as this furthers...

Regards from the lone Ranger, making the world a little better place 24/7
Sawtybt

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also worried about dust entering the air intake pipe so I extended the pipe and added some irrigation fittings as per the attached photos. It's then an easy matter of removing the end cap to use the heater.

The heater outlet pipe has a small rubber drain plug fitted and all the other outlets on the van have caps fitted to stop dust entry or insects building nests. I just went to my local Clark Rubber store and purchased chair leg rubbers and have attached with stainless steel wire leader and crimps used in fishing so that they are never left behind.

http://sawtybt.blogspot.com/
2015 TTD 200 Series VX Lovells 3800 Kg GVM Upgrade. 2016 20' Van
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Here is it, long in coming, and I will test it in the next couple of months. Truma the hot water company and gone into Partership with Eberspacher the diesel heater company, to make a combination unit.

It is powerful, and contributes no heat to the van when hot water only is used. Blower can take FOUR outlets! Very promising unit, and I am looking forward to the R&D.

The results of "out Bush" testing will be in our R&D category in the Owners Section. It does have to pass the Muster with the lone Ranger.. Wink
safi1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Dometic heater dust problem Reply with quote

We have just completed over 4000km on gravel etc and have experienced the same problem as oldfella with dust getting into the heater through the air intake pipe at the rear of the van. I eventually managed to get it going by cleaning out the dust from the pipe and on top of the steel plate and blowing in air from my compressor as it tried to start up. Took 3 attempts but now appears to be working again.

Gordon
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop in to Bushtracker and we will update it with the latest innovations. Or, if not coming by, call Wayne and see if he can help you with the latest changes to the design that you can implement.. Wink

Life is R&D, at least for me.... Best Regards, stg
safi1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. We have arranged to call at Dometic next Thursday and they are going to look at the situation.

As we live on the Coast, will arrange to see Wayne within the next couple of weeks.

Gordon
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest modification in the system, a black tank:

R&D People are blaming the blue tank for letting in light and growing gunk in the diesel. My premise is that while this is true, most of the problem is probably coming from dirty jerry cans and other sources that are filling the heater tank with contaminated diesel to start with... Wink

Keep in mind, that a little Kerosene in the diesel, pickles and sterilizes the the whole tank. The main problems come from leaving diesel in there in the off season, the warm months. In that case I would add a couple of litres of kerosene to the diesel. It is an excellent disinfectant... Cool

My experience is that people are using too much diesel in the little tank, filling it every other day to run the heater, for that blue tank to be the problem. IMO It has to be the source of the diesel contributing to the contamination condition... But this blank tank will help.

Regards, stg
Sawtybt

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

Does that mean that Dometic will supply replacement tanks for those of us that already have the blue tanks installed.

http://sawtybt.blogspot.com/
2015 TTD 200 Series VX Lovells 3800 Kg GVM Upgrade. 2016 20' Van
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is not a retrofit... Anyway, I have told them they are barking up the wrong tree. Yes the black tanks are a step in the right direction of product improvement, but that is not likely the cause of bad fuel as it is used up to quickly. It is most likely coming from a contaminated source. It would only work against you if you left diesel in there in the sun over summer.... But 50% kerosene counteracts even that... Wink

They have put in fuel filters in line, the black tank was just an attempt at product improvement. If you put a litre of kero in when the weather is moderate or you are not using it, you have sterilized the fuel anyway. When it is warmer and you are not using it, a half fill of kero and it will be good until the following winter.

It is mostly in the shade anyway. It would not be worth the bother to unbolt it even if it was for free. Kero is the answer.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owners, if you want help on something, please put it in the Owners Section. It may involve some of our Proprietary Research and Development. As it is, most of the market copies our style, albeit only skin deep. Basically we don't want to make it too easy for them, by sorting out all of their problems.

A lot of problems like this are caused by not pickling the diesel in the summer, so at the beginning of winter you have this sort problem. It may not be true in this case, but refer to directions on this in the Owners Section. Wink

BTW we may be going to another German diesel heater, that has the same digital controls and thermostatically controlled system for power and fuel economy, but a better tank with fuel gauge. You will have to read about it, again, in the Owners Section.

And no trouble shooting Bushtracker questions and R&D answers and Engineering here please.

Kind regards, Admin
Neill & Jude

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. I will shift to owners section. Didn't realise I had moved out of Owners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: